Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Gray Catbird


I've been home on summer vacation for a little over a week now and for several days I have heard this weird sound outside my window. It sounds as if a cat was in the bushes crying! Every time I looked outside, however, I didn't see much. Well, actually that is not true because several times my neighbors cat was outside near where I was hearing the sound but his mouth wasn't moving so I knew it wasn't coming from him! This sound was so loud that I couldn't help but notice it for several days.

Finally, yesterday I heard the sound and looked out again and saw it was coming from a gray bird. With a little searching on the net I was able to successfully identify the bird as a Gray Catbird (fitting name). Here is a link to some interesting info. about this bird as well as a sample of the call I keep hearing (it is the 4th sample down).

No comments:

Post a Comment