After the readings, we did an Oregon Trail simulation as a warm-up activity in class. The class was divided into two 'wagon trains', each with a mother, father, wagon hands, and lots of children. I told the students to bring 'western wear' to get in the spirit of the activity!
Before class, I used string to mark the Oregon Trail on the classroom map of the US. Each of the two teams had a marker on the map to show where their wagon train was on the trail. The object of the game was to get further along than the other wagon trail, with the most survivors and supplies, while getting through the 'obstacles' I threw at them along the way.
I printed up 18 slips of paper, each with a real obstacle or success that pioneers faced along the way in the 1800s. Each team took turns picking slips of paper and then, based on what the paper said, they moved up or back on the trail, lost a family member or supplies, etc.
The twist was that I had taken several excerpts from the primary source journal mentioned above and printed them on the slips of paper. If the student could tell me whether or not what I had read was in the journal, they could move up on the trail. This was a great way to see if they had in fact done their homework and comprehended what they read! Here are a few more pictures of the wagon trains:
YEE HAW!
No comments:
Post a Comment